Monday, April 28, 2008

The Sweet Flavors

I consider my Cinnamon Raisin to be pretty good, but I want more sweets to balance the savory bagels.  Yesterday I did up my first two test batches (lucky for me, I figured out how to do the recipes so that my test batch is only 3 bagels, rather than 6 or 12) of Orange Cranberry and Blueberry Vanilla.  They were OK, but not enough sweet to complement the fruits.  The next batch will increase the sweetness with a little added sugar (doesn't take much for bagels, maybe a tablespoon or two per pound of flour), and I'll confirm that the vanilla does something to help the Blueberry Bagels, if it does nothing for the flavor, then it doesn't need to be in there.

Sales were good at the market, and I have started seeing some regulars.  A couple go for multiple bagels, and an increasing number seem to be coming for their bagel breakfast. The sales of cream cheese packets is also increasing, although I sell them for my cost I use it as a gage for on-site eating as opposed to takehome purchases.  

I'm also eyeing a bigger boil pot, mostly so I can boil more bagels at once for faster production, but with the added bonus of making an even bigger giant bagel.  Because the picture of me holding the giant bagels is really funny.

No comments: