Saturday, December 20, 2008

The price of success...

On Thursday, I was doing up a test batch of Belizean Creole Bread when my mixer broke.  Considering how many hundreds of pounds of dough it's done this year (over 250 easily), it's no surprise that something broke.  The bolt that holds up the head assembly that rotates around snapped, lucky for me the bread was done kneading when it gave.  

I'll start off with the most important part, the bread.  The Belizean Creole Bread is made with coconut milk, and came out tasting sweet and delicious. It reminded me a little bit of challah with the sweetness and slightly chewy texture.  Tomorrow some slices are destined to become French Toast for breakfast.

On the part of the mixer, there is a repair place only about half an hour from me, and I'm able to pick the wife up from work so she doesn't have to take the commuter bus back.  In about 7-10 days it should be fixed, and the cost is under a third of what a new mixer costs.  I do now realize that about 10% of the sales should go into a fund to pay for future equipment upgrade and repairs, so starting after I get the mixer back the fund will start.

One other thing I learned is that there are at least 3 patron saints of bakers.  I chose Saint Elizabeth of Hungary as mine, in case I ever need one.

No comments: