Tuesday, June 16, 2009

new mixer cranking out the bagels..

I forgot to post this, but last week I purchased a 10 qt Anvil commercial mixer.  It is a fine machine, and cranks out the bagel dough beautifully.  Unlike the KitchenAid 600 (which is a fine machine, but not made for the amount of baking I do) it is made to handle a big 3.5 lb lump of dough, 12-16 times in a single day every Friday during Farmer's Market season.

Today I'm doing experiments with Lime Basil bagels (tried once before, trying again for better results) at the request of a friend, and I'm also trying challah bagels.  The first batch of challah bagels has shown me that they need a lower bake temp because they are much higher in sugar content than the other bagels, and the outside browns quickly.  I'll play around with them in the future, but doubt that they will become a high demand item.

No comments: