Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Ka'Kat, Arabian Sweet Bread Ring

I'm on a research quest.  After seeing a picture of a bread ring covered in sesame seeds taken in a middle eastern market, I searched out what kind of bread it was. After a few false leads I found ka'kat, a bread made with spice mahleb in it.  So I found the spice at our local Mediterranean Market, ground it and am waiting on the first rise.  

Most dough is pretty much the same. The difference are in the flavor ingredients and how you treat the dough. This one gets divided, rolled into ropes and made into rings.  Then covered in sesame seeds.  I'm looking forward to seeing if the spice really makes it taste different, and if the flavor lasts for more than 12 hours.  For the market, the flavor really needs to stay around for a day or two, since I have to bake the night before.

No comments: