Monday, April 7, 2008

To Glaze or Not To Glaze

I've figured out that for bagels, an egg wash is really only needed if you want something to stick to the top. It makes the crust slightly shiny and a touch darker, but otherwise is not required.

What does this do besides make me redo my ingredient label? It means that more of my bagels are vegan, and it reduces the cost of production a touch. If there was another way to stick on the toppings without egg I'd probably do that too. The only other option I know of is a milk wash, which also goes against the vegan thing.

Edit-After doing up a batch of bagels, one boiled in sugar water, one boiled in regular water, and one glazed normally with egg, and topping them with sesame seeds, I have confirmed that if I want stuff stuck to the top I need to use the eggs. The vegans will have to be happy with untopped bagels.

No comments: